Sunday 8 February 2015

Winter food, day 2

 

I was planning on making roulades tonight anyway. Usually I make them with a little homemade spaetzle and gravy, but tonight I decided to replace the noodles with double baked stuffed potatoes. Not something I normally make, due to the time constraints, but satisfying nonetheless. I completely forgot the paprika and cilantro as garnish however!

The roulades were stuffed with a traditional German filling: mustard, pickles, and onions, then Braised in red wine and beef stock (which was used to make a simple gravy afterwards).

And of course, a couple of vegetables, beets and green beans in this case, to round out the dish.

I was thinking today, and looking ahead to the week's menu plan. Thinking about how this challenge would or would not change what we made. I came to the conclusion that we make pretty good food, regardless, whether it is stuffed or otherwise. We were looking at the things we had on the list for this week, and we didn't have to make too many alterations to our menu to satisfy the "stuffed" factor of the challenge. Mostly, we are trying to find ways to adjust what we already are making to make it into a stuffed dish.

Even Carter is getting into it. Today he wrote a recipe for stuffed squash. If we had one, the totally would have tried to make it for supper tonight. He wasn't sure what he would put in it, but he was certain that if it was a sweeter squash, like delicate, he would use savoury things like beans, onions, etc. A little chef in the making.

I wonder what tomorrow night will hold?

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yumm...... Wish I was there , such delicious looking dinner! Well done team Epp!

    ReplyDelete